Sunday, November 27, 2016

Who Are These Old White Dudes?


I was stunned. 

The black commentator referred to all of Trump's cabinet appointees as "Old white men or old white dudes." Can he do that? The application of the double political correctness standard fosters just such a comment  Further, the other guests on his TV show made the same "old white man" characterization. 

I am an old white man. I was offended. Of course, the literal meaning of the words is correct. I am Old. I am white. I am a man. Therefore, I am an old white man. However, the context of the characterization and the commentator's body language reached beyond the literal meaning. 

There was an inferred negative slur to the OWM phrase. For me, the slur inferred bias, narrow thinking and a lack of cabinet appointee diversity- which is another term for where are the black, brown and yellow men? An OWM would likely be fired if he referred to a group of black men as young black dudes or some other group as young brown dudes. 

I guess I am just an "old white man" trying to understand the inequities of free speech. Maybe there is a white backlash. 

I voted for Obama because I saw the deterioration of our inner cities, which are primarily populated by minorities. Obama was so pleased with his legacy- the first black president- that, with rare exceptions, he failed to do anything for anyone. The inner cities are certainly not better. He will leave office with his legacy in tact, but with a library of unsuccessful policies. Obama's loud and persistent claim, in the benefits of economic globalization, has drowned the sound of Americans who have lost their jobs to foreign based businesses with lower taxes and fewer government regulations.

I voted for Trump because he heard these sounds and vowed to do better. There are enormous benefits to being an OWM because we have the historical perspective that younger people do not have. There may be many differences between a 30 year old white man and a 70 year old white man, but one major difference, and an advantage to the OWM, is that he was 30 once and the young person is not 70 yet. 


2 comments:

  1. Accurately stated, Bob. Youth is wasted on the young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an OWM, I am offended by these microaggressive comments and demand a safe space.

    ReplyDelete