Monday, April 2, 2012

Forgiveness is overrated.

As Americans, we always hope for the best. We typically look for the best in other people, forgive their indiscretions, overlook their lack of common courtesy, and excuse their lack of responsiveness. We are taught that forgiveness and understanding are admirable characteristics. They are. But. But what? Platitudes such as "Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his footsteps," adorn our office walls. But when is enough enough?

If the food is bad, send it back.

If you want a decent tip, then give me decent service.

If you do not return my phone calls in a timely manner, please do not later tell me you were too busy for a thirty second call.

If you tell me you will respond to my email, but never do; please do not offer a flimsy excuse that you just receive too many emails.

If you do not treat our relationship in a civilized manner, then I will look for someone that will.

Please do not waste my time with trite apologies that both of us know are disingenuous.

For example, I called a person last week who had not responded to my two emails. The person said, yes she remembered my emails, but she had received over 200 emails and was just too busy. Talk about a narcissistic reply. Her arm must be broken from reaching around and patting herself on the back for being so, so, so terribly important and demeaning my email communication in the self-patting process. She was Yertle the Turtle before the collapse of the turtle tower from Dr. Seuss.

My typical American inclination was not too burn a bridge, which I did anyway. Ergo, I wrote her boss a letter and complained about her rudeness and lack of courtesy. Here is the rub. Her boss called me. He was copied on the earlier emails and did not respond either. He explained that he received 600 emails a day, and suggested that I should be more understanding. The bridge exploded in a mixture of fire and brimstone. Who wants a bridge to that business anyway?

Enough is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment