Sunday, May 17, 2015

What evil lurks in the shadows of tiny integrated circuits?

Last week, I purchased Royals baseball tickets and put the tickets into my passbook on my iPhone. When I arrived at the game, I showed my iPhone passbook to get into the parking area and showed my iPhone passbook game tickets to the person at the gate to enter the stadium.  The admissions person scanned the passbook code authenticated the tickets and let me pass. The process was simple, but the technology was complex and it was implemented via a wireless system.

I can not help it. I just sit at my desk and smile with amazement how this technology makes life easier. Of course, my iPhone is my umbilical chord to my active life and I never leave home, nor do I even stay at home, without it. My imaginary independence is trumped by my absolute dependence on a device less than 1/2 the size of a standard mailing envelope and built in China. 

Wait a minute, I have to check something on my iPhone. Yes, my life is many times easier with my iPhone, but it also is a bit scary to think that maybe the Chinese know more about me than I do. Who knows what evil lurks in the shadows of those tiny integrated circuits? And, according to one story, wasn't it a bite of an Apple that started our problems once upon a time in a far off land a long time ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment