Sunday, August 4, 2013

A 1946 movie and a 2013 Charity Tournament.

Yesterday was the 5th annual serve for the cause volleyball tournament. The tournament raised money for Camp Quality, a non profit organization that sends kids with cancer to camp.

When I looked out at 230 young people playing volleyball, or relaxing on the deck before their next match, it brought a tear to my eye. One young man came up to the desk and simply wanted to make a donation.


Other people bid generously on numerous gifts donated by local merchants. Two of my sons and many of their friends work tirelessly on the tournament. It always is a success. After the tournament, the planning and work committee came over to our house for pizza and chicken. It was a wonderful experience.

Today they are counting the money and giving some thought to the children with cancer that will get their way paid to a camp.  You can click to visit the website by the way. Some of the participants have been attending since the tournament began.

I have an older son who has a charity poker tournament for people in the armed forces. He has been  holding this fund raiser for more than 10 years.

This narrative is not to throw credit their way. Why? Because charity raising is an admirable American past time. It is the thing that Americans do best and do often. The tear in my eye reminded me of that wonderful quality of charity that people have.

The tear represented a 2013 reminder of the James Stewart 1946 movie, It's a Wonderful Life. How could anyone forget? I do sometimes, but the charity tournament changes that, a credit to my sons not to me.

For sure.

webtalkwithbob

No comments:

Post a Comment